Gastroenterologist in Las Vegas & Henderson, NV
Comprehensive Digestive Institute of Nevada
Gary Chen, M.D. is an expert in the care of gastroenterology patients, and is well-versed on the latest treatments and advances in endoscopic technology. He is board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Gastroenterology.
He received his medical degree from the University of California, Los Angeles, David Geffen School of Medicine, and is the recipient of multiple scholastic awards in recognition of his academic achievements. He then completed three years of Internal Medicine residency training at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California. Subsequently, he completed three years of Gastroenterology Fellowship training in the prestigious Department of Digestive Diseases at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. His distinguished academic background brings a level of medical expertise to Las Vegas that has been in short supply.
Dr. Chen has done extensive academic research on gastrointestinal disorders, liver diseases, and advances in endoscopy, and his publications have been recognized both nationally and internationally. His research has included pioneering work in the use of capsule endoscopy and balloon enteroscopy.
Dr. Chen specializes in disorders of the digestive system. He offers expertise in conditions such as reflux, Barrett’s esophagus, upset stomach, stomach cancer screening, peptic ulcer, irritable bowel syndrome, colon cancer screening, abdominal pain, abdominal bloating, constipation, hemorrhoids, and chronic liver diseases including hepatitis B and fatty liver.
He performs an array of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures including upper endoscopy (EGD), colonoscopy, capsule endoscopy, SmartPill motility monitoring, breath tests, esophageal pH testing, anorectal manometry, and treatment for hemorrhoids.
Dr. Chen emphasizes on quality of medical care and delivery of the most advanced treatment information to each patient. Previously, while working at a large multi-specialty practice in the region, Dr. Chen had one of the highest patient satisfaction ratings consistently. Dr. Chen has been named as a "Top Doctor" by Vegas, Inc and Desert Companion.
Furthermore, Dr. Chen has had significant experience providing medical care to professional athletes. He also has provided volunteer medical work in Asia.
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
1. Zheng MK, Shih DQ, *Chen GC*. Insights on the use of biosimilars in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2017 Mar 21;23(11):1932-1943.
2. Chavalitdhamrong D, Goltzer O, Sul J, Chang C, *Chen GC*, Roth BE, Jutabha R. Esophageal capsule endoscopy for evaluation of patients with chronic gastroesophageal reflux symptoms: findings and its image quality. Dis Esophagus 2011 Jun 10.
3. *Chen GC*, Ramanathan VS, Law D, Funchain P, Chen GC, French S, Shlopov B, Eysselein V, Chung D, Reicher S, Pham BV. Acute liver injury induced by weight-loss herbal supplements. World J Hepatol 2010;2(11):410-5.
4. Ippoliti A, Devlin S, Mei L, Yang H, Papadakis KA, Vasiliauskas EA, McGovern DPB, Abreu MT, Melmed G, Shaye O, Enayati P, *Chen G*, Choi J, Taylor K, Landers CJ, Rotter JI, Targan SR. Combination of innate and adaptive immune alterations increased the likelihood offibrostenosis in Crohn’s disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2010;16(8):1279-85.
5. Mehdizadeh S, *Chen G*, Barkodar L, Enayati PJ, Pirouz S, Yadegari M, Ippoliti A, Vasiliauskas EA, Lo SK, Papadakis KA. Capsule endoscopy in patients with Crohn’s disease: diagnostic yield and safety. Gastrointest Endosc 2010;71(1):121-7.
6. *Chen GC*, Enayati P, Cheng D, Chen G, Conklin JL, Soffer EE. Concurrent Findings of achalasia and duodenal duplication in a Down’s syndrome patient. J of Formosa Med Asso 2009;108(1):78-81.
7. Ross A, Mehdizadeh S, Tokar J, Leighton JA, Kamal A, Chen A, Schembre D, *Chen G*, Binmoeller K, Kozarek R, Waxman I, Dye C, Gerson L, Harrison ME, Haluszka O, Lo S, Semrad C. Double balloon enteroscopy detects small bowel mass lesions missed by capsule endoscopy. Dig Dis Sci 2008;53(8):2140-3.
8. Mehdizadeh S, *Chen G*, Enayati PJ, Cheng DW, Han NJ, Shaye OA, Ippoliti A, Vasiliauskas EA, Lo SK, Papadakis KA. Diagnostic yield of capsule endoscopy in ulcerative colitis and inflammatory bowel disease of unclassified type (IBDU). Endoscopy 2008;40(1):30-5.
9. Melmed GY, Elashoff R, *Chen GC*, Nastaskin I, Papadakis KA, Vasiliauskas EA, Liu W, Landers C, Ippoliti AF, Targan SR. Predicting a change in diagnosis from ulcerative colitis to Crohn's disease: a nested, case-control study. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007;5(5):602-8.
10. *Chen GC*, Kitahara F, Jutabha R. Current status of capsule endoscopy in the United States of America and its future development. Endoscopia Digestiva 2007, *in press*. 11. Mehdizadeh S, Han NJ, Cheng DJ, *Chen GC*, Lo SK. Factors affecting the success rate of retrograde double-balloon enteroscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2007;65(4):633-9.
12. Mehdizadeh S, Ross A, Gerson L, Leighton J, Chen A, Schembre D, *Chen G*, Semrad C, Kamal A, Harrison EM, Binmoeller K, Waxman I, Kozarek R, Lo SK. What is the learning curve associated with double balloon enteroscopy? Technical details and early experiences in 6 U.S. tertiary care centers. Gastrointest Endosc 2006;64(5):740-50.
13. Kanwal F, Farid M, Martin P, *Chen G*, Gralnek IM, Dulai GS, Spiegel MR. Treatment alternatives for hepatitis B cirrhosis: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2006;101(9):2076-89.
14. *Chen GC*, Lee-Henderson M, Mehdizadeh S, Goltzer O, Shen J, Sul J, Jutabha R. A novel external sensor array for capsule endoscopy. Endoscopy 2006;38(7):752-754.
15. *Chen GC*, Enayati P, Tran T, Lee-Henderson M, Dulai G, Arnott I, Sul J, Jutabha R. Sensitivity and inter-observer variability for capsule endoscopy image analysis in a cohort of novice readers. World J
16. *Chen GC*, Lo SK. Wireless capsule endoscopy: an emerging tool in the diagnosis of IBD. IBD Monitor 2005,6(3):70-79.
17. Quan C, *Chen G*, Lee-Henderson M, Kalpakian M, Chan S, Tran T, Enayati P, Dulai G, Kitahara F, Arnott I, Sul J, Jutabha R. Overtube-assisted placement of wireless capsule endoscopy device.
Gastrointest Endosc 2005;61(7):914-6.
1. Chavalitdhamrong D, *Chen GC*, Jutabha R. Infectious proctocolitis. In: Practical gastroenterology and hepatology, Vol II,
edited by N.J. Talley and M.B. Wallace, October 2010.
2. *Chen GC*, Lo SK. The challenges of using capsule endoscopy in the diagnosis and management of inflammatory bowel disease. In: Challenges in inflammatory bowel disease, 2nd Edition, edited by D.P. Jewell and H. Steinhart. Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK 2005, *in press*.
3. *Chen GC*, Jutabha R. Bleedingesophagal varices. In: Conn’s current therapy, 59th Edition, edited by R.E. Rakel and E.T.Bope. Elsevier, New York, USA, 2005, *in* *press*.